Akore is a self-taught Graffiti and Street Artist born in Murcia in 1976 and raised in Barcelona, where he lives and works. He is considered one of the most active and well-known street artists in Barcelona today.
Akore started painting at the end of the 80’s to the hip-hop beat that exploded at that time in Barcelona’s suburbs, where he grew up. It was during that time that he started to work on his first sketches, illustrations, calligraphy, typography, tags and graffiti.
Today, he is well known in the street art scene for his colorful, powerful and expressive Afro graffitis. He likes to paint on illegal walls in the city to break the established norms and standards. His unique style is set around post-graffiti. It is has been defined as urban, primitive, tribal, abstract, hip funk, electroafropunk, and has been named ‘Afrocolor’. His portraits and paintings of African tribal women echo the soul of Mother Africa, with whom he has always felt spiritually connected. Having been born in Murcia, a region in the South-East of Spain very close to Africa, has allowed him to establish strong geographical, historical and cultural ties with Africa, where he identifies his roots, ancestry, and spiritual identity.
Guided by his own instinct, he sometimes looks for the notion of Art for Art’s Sake, hedonism, pleasure and the creative activity per se. Other times, he looks for exchanges, escapism, boundaries, rupture, radicalism, provocation, the not so beautiful. On the communications front, he forges dialectic with the otherness through experience, which is understood like a journey that conveys life itself. The conscious or unconscious use of a language that is socially sensitive with the mundane is looking to establish a dialogue with the other. This on occasions is more important than the functional aesthetics of his artwork.
His work is clearly influenced by urban culture, Hip-Hop, the African American movements and culture, by the African Aesthetics, Pop Art and graphic design.
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, SPAIN
LA VANGUARDIA, SPAIN
EL PERIÓDICO DE CATALUNYA (Interview), SPAIN
MTV – MALAGUETAS, BRASIL
TV3 – MOVISTAR+ (‘This is Art’ documentary), SPAIN
BETEVÉ (Interview), SPAIN
THE BRAZILIAN WAX. BRASIL / SPAIN
BONART CULTURAL, SPAIN
BROOKLYN STREET ART, USA
DIGERIBLE ARTE URBANO, SPAIN
RADIO COLMENA (Interview), ARGENTINA
BARCELONA CITY FM, SPAIN
DIARI DE SABADELL, SPAIN
– November: Live Painting for Urban Art Festival. Arteria BCN Gallery. Barcelona, Spain.
– November: Live Painting for Window Art Circuit. Poblenou Urban District. Barcelona, Spain.
– September: Mural for Torrefarrera Street Art Festival. Lleida, Spain.
– May: Group Exhibition. Impaktes Visuals Gallery, Sabadell, Spain.
– May: Art Auction, Metric Market / The Mad Gallery & Bizarre Magazine. Barcelona, Spain.
– March: Mural & Live Painting for Harmony Headquarters. Barcelona, Spain.
– March: Solo Exhibition at Fabricarte. Barcelona, Spain.
– January: Live Painting for BCN Afrobeat Sessions concert. Barcelona, Spain.
– November: Live Painting for OMNIUM / Contorno Urbano. Barcelona, Spain.
– November: Stencil Workshop and live painting for Alternative Barcelona at Nau Bostik. Barcelona, Spain.
– November: Mural and Live Painting for CSA Can Vies. Barcelona, Spain.
– May: Group Exhibition. Gar Gar Festival / Martillo Gallery. Penelles / Barcelona, Spain.
– April: Mural for Greenpeace – Save the Arctic. Barcelona, Spain.
– March: Live Painting, Distrikte Park Fest. Barcelona, Spain.
– March: Mural for Gar Gar Festival. Penelles, Spain.
– September: Live Painting, La Escocesa, Barcelona, Spain.
– September: Group Exhibition, La Escocesa, Espai M / Tallers Oberts. Barcelona, Spain.
– September: Solo Exhibition. Miradas Líticas. La Escocesa, Espai M. Barcelona, Spain.
– January: Live Painting and Mural, Sabadell Art Museum. Barcelona, Spain.
– December: Group Exhibition El Arte de Soñar. Centro de Folklore. Murcia. Spain.
– December: Group Exhibition. We’re Art / Arte Encoparte. Barcelona, Spain.
– November: Group Exhibition. Infracción 6710. Martillo Gallery. Barcelona, Spain.
– November: Live Painting for Impaktes Visuals 10th Anniversary. Sabadell, Spain.
– October: Group Exhibition. EFE Serrano Gallery. Murcia, Spain.
– November: Live Painting for Catalan Tourist Board. Singapore.
– November: Solo Exhibition. Colors. Impaktes Visuals Gallery. Sabadell, Spain.
– November: Live Painting for Impaktes Visuals Gallery. Sabadell, Spain.
– October: Group Exhibition. Disco Mood. SiempreYo Gallery. Barcelona, Spain.
– October: Solo Exhibition. Niggaz 4 Life. Grimey Store. Barcelona, Spain.
– February: Group Exhibition. Arco Tangente. La Galería de Magdalena. Madrid, Spain.
– December: Solo Exhibition. Bring da Noise. Arte Encoparte. Barcelona, Spain.
– November: Group Exhibition. BCN Painting Route Gallery. Barcelona, Spain.
– October: Solo Exhibition. Bring da Noise. 33|45 Gallery. Barcelona, Spain.
– October: Group Exhibition. El Bigote del Sr. Smith Gallery. Barcelona, Spain.
1989 – Today
Painting and exhibiting in the streets, the biggest museum in the world.
If you are interested in acquiring my artwork or getting in touch with me, please contact me.